Leket Israel – Israel's National food bank and food rescue network
In Israel there are more than 1.7 million people who do not have adequate nutrition. More than 750 thousand of these are children.
Leket Israel is working to improve the nutritional security of the needy through their support of over 250 nonprofits all across the country.
Our goal is to rescue excess and unused food and redistribute it to those in need. This is done through various programs such as:
Leket Israel in Highlights for 2009
- Project Leket which gleans fruits and vegetables from fields that would otherwise be wasted.
- Day and Night Rescue collects 7,000 healthy meals a week that would have been thrown away.
- Sandwiches for School Kids where volunteers prepare 5,500 sandwiches a day that are distributed to over 80 schools in 24 cities.
- Maintain the country's first food buying co-op where we negotiate bulk purchases for the nonprofits.
- Conduct formal nutritional education and food safety consultation.
Click here to find out more about Leket Israel: http://www.leket.org
- One million sandwiches for children
- 50 thousand volunteers from Israel and abroad
- Logistic warehouses throughout the country
- 12 trucks and commercial vehicles
- Tens of professional fruit pickers
- Works in conjunction with 250 non profit organizations
- 10,000 tons of food and 500 thousand hot meals were collected and redistributed during the course of the year